Tapir (/téipər/, same as “taper”) is an RGSS-compatible runtime. In short, this is a kind of emulator for RPG Maker XP, VX, and VX Ace.
- It can run games made with RPG Maker series. (XP, VX, VX Ace only)
- Supported platform: Linux. (We’re also planning to support platforms like macos)
- It can also run encrypted games.
- It supports games extended by RGSS scripts.
- Operating system: Linux
- Graphics: OpenGL 2.1 or later
- Disk: RTP requires 260 megabytes in total.
See download page.
How to use
See how to use page.
Similar projects, software, and services
- Plicy : A Web service where you can play RPG Maker 2000, VX Ace, MV games. RGSS extensions doesn’t seem to be supported.
- mkxp : The very precursor of Tapir. I didn’t know it existed when I started development of Tapir…
- ねこRPGXPプレイヤー : RGSS-compatible runtime for Android devices. Looks like actively updated.
- OpenRGSS : Semi RGSS-compatible game library. Doesn’t seem to be a drop-in replacement of the runtime. Seems to be abandoned.
- FreeRGSS : Semi RGSS-compatible game library via DXRuby. Doesn’t seem to be a drop-in replacement of the runtime. Seems to be abandoned.
- EasyRPG : Runtime for RPG Maker 2000 and 2003. They’re also developing compatible editors for RPG Maker 2000 and 2003.
- Dante98 for Windows and D2Win : Officially distributed, yet developed by third party, emulators for RPG Maker Dante98 and RPG Maker Dante98II. Run on Windows.
- ONScripter : A multi-platform compatible runtime of a famous VN engine NScripter.
- Ren’Py : This VN engine is already multi-platform without third-party engine. How ideal it is!